18 July 2009

So how's work going, Clarissa?

I have been pummeled with this question all week. Ok, my mom is the only one asking, but still I know you are all wondering. To answer you-it's great! I worked in the ER Thursday and Friday and am now absolutely certain that the craziest people on the planet live in this city. I am so not kidding. And from my two day extravaganza in the working world, I have compiled a list of sorts: (can I just tell you how incredible it feels to be making a list {smirk})

Some helpful hints when coming into the ER

  • When coming into the ER, please don't bum-rush the ER back doors with 15 of your family members without first registering. You will not be able to push open the locked doors. And I just happen to control the opening of the doors.
  • When registering in the ER, please, please, please know how to spell your name. And it wouldn't hurt to know your birthday. As in "date of birth."
  • When registering in the ER, please write semi-legibly.
  • When registering in the ER, please do not take off your shirt to show me ______ and ask me what I think needs to be done. I AM NOT A NURSE (that would this lady) and I DO NOT WANT TO SEE YOU WITHOUT A SHIRT ON.
  • When registering at the ER, please do not take the time to talk on your cell phone at the front desk about _____ while your child is screaming in pain next to you. Please, please fill out the registration slip and allow your child to get that much closer to being treated.
  • When registering the in ER, please do not allow your 20 year old, punk boyfriend to tell you that since you have been waiting for 20 minutes that you need to go home. You took the time to CALL AN AMBULANCE so maybe you should take the time to wait for the doctor to see you. But whatever, you're still going to have to pay the ambulance bill AND now that you are registered and have been triaged, you're gonna have ER services to pay as well. Do what you want, it's no biggie.
  • When registering in the ER, ALWAYS bring 12 of your closest friends and have them "help" you fill out your paperwork. This makes life so much more interesting.
Let's just say that in the 16 hours I was in the ER this week, I have to come to realize the importance of laughter. And man, did I have fun.

Shout Outs:
Hand sanitizer-I could bathe in you.
Cleaning ladies/crews-you are beyond underpaid. Thank you sooo much for what you do.
My own pen-yeah.
Washing machine-I may have given you a shout out before, but is there really a limit?

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying your job. Laughter is the best medicine.

Misty said...

I l-o-v-e emergency! It's always interesting to see others reactions in stressful situations. My favorite part is not knowing what you will be dealing with next.

I'm also glad that you are enjoying your job. Be prepared for working overnights. One can't truly understand it until one does it. It's hard work and prepare for napping while the boys nap.