30 June 2010

Flan FAIL

Last week Stuart called from school asking me if we had any condensed milk. My first thought was "why?" After looking in the pantry and finding none, I asked him why he needed it. "Because we're making flan tonight!"

Ok.

Turns out Stuart volunteered to make flan for his Spanish class in order to get extra credit. Alright, I'm down with that.

Being the brilliant person that I am, I called one of my co-workers (who happens to be Hispanic) and asked her if she has ever made flan. She had. She then informed me that Jello made a "flan-in-a-box" that was "just as good as homemade." And being the slacker that I am, I jumped on it. I called Stuart and told him that Laura told me about "flan-in-a-box" and it would be ridiculously easier. He then came home with 5 boxes since each box yielded 4 servings and his class has 20 students.

The next morning, I started "baking."
See how the box makes the flan look so pretty?

First you pour the milk into a pot.
Then you coat the bottom of the cupcake tins with the caramel sauce.
Then you add the flan mix to your milk and bring to a boil.
Transfer the mixture into the cupcake tins.
Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Invert cupcake pan and VIOLA!
Flan SNOT!
Total flan fail.

None-the-less, Stuart took these little globules of grossness to school. He even explained to his teacher that my best friend Laura (not to be confused with my co-worker, Laura) who got her college degree in Spanish and then went to Pastry Chef school recommended the Jello flan-in-a-box. {oops! Guess I should have clarified which Laura I talked to}

Hey, at least he got some extra credit!

1 comments:

Jennifer W said...

Yeah that looks super gross. However I think flan by nature is SUPER GROSS. Go you for trying!