09 August 2009

Sunrise, Sunset

It's a funny thing when you come to work and it's light outside and throughout your shift the light fades, night comes, night goes, morning comes and then it's light again as you leave to go home. Funny thing.

Another funny thing, flashing red or yellow traffic lights. There are precisely 5 stop lights that I pass under on my way to work. One of the beauties (I know, I tend to comment on the negatives of living in a small town but there are some perks) of living in a smaller town is the flashing red light. After 10 pm several to most of the traffic lights go from being on to flashing. It's a marvelous thing. Especially marvelous since I am heading to work at 10: 30 pm and therefore don't have to stop at those pesky traffic lights because not only are the ones that I go under blinking, but they are blinking yellow. As Tyson would say, "Mommy yellow means slow down."

So funny thing is that while I am working, I have no idea what is going on in the outside world (I mean other than what's coming into the hospital-I know there are a lot of fevers in the outside world right now). Seriously. When I walk out the automatic double doors that keep me nice and safe, I have not a clue as to what happened in the last 8-12 hours. But the even funnier thing is that neither does anyone else really since they all have been sleeping. For example: my kids have no clue that I am not home all night long. All they know is that mommy is there when they wake up (or shortly thereafter) and mommy either give them a kiss shortly before bedtime or tucks them in to bed. Whose to say that mommy isn't also sleeping when they are sleeping? They have no clue. But they are more than ready to talk to me about what they did with daddy the day before (while I was sleeping) and are more than ready to yell at me for turning the channel off of Curious George and heaven forbid if I accidentally give Tyson his raisin bread (really it's cinnamon bread but for some reason he calls it raisin) toasted with butter instead of untoasted with butter.

Another funny thing: telling the girl that registers you into the ER that you want to be a "Do Not Publish" patient because you smoke pot and drank before you had your seizure and you don't want your parents to find out, since you're under age and all.

Funny thing.

1 comments:

Brittany said...

At least if you have to work all night you have some interesting patients keeping you entertained!

Mike worked nights our first year of marriage and it was like ships passing in the night (or morning). I feel for you because it is so hard. You're doing great and being positive, though.

Keep posting those funny patient stories, though. I love it!