02 May 2009

And we all fall down

So it has been raining for the past 4 out of 6 days here in lovely Wichita Falls. (Stuart likes to say wuh-chee-tah falls) The two days of no rain there was also no sun so the ground had no chance to dry up. Therefore my house is covered in muddy paw prints. It also means that the boys and I have been stuck inside all day long. We've colored, painted, busted out the playdoh (something that I never do because of the heart attack that I have when the boys start mixing the colors and then pushing little bits into the crevices of the table..ahhh!), played hide-and-seek, yelled, ran around in circles, cleaned out closets, cleaned up the playroom, destroyed the playroom, cleaned out the pantry (my personal favorite) and watched a ridiculous amount of Handy Manny.

It came as no surprise when I woke up this morning to see a light mist coming down outside. Another rainy day... {violins playing something soothing}

I was determined to get out of the house, so I dressed the boys and loaded up to go to the commissary. We were out the door at 8:02 am. A personal record. As I pulled into the commissary parking lot, I was pleasantly surprised to see a new cart return in the parking lot. We have never had one here at Sheppard AFB and with the inclusion of self checkout in the past 6 months, there has been no option for returning carts when you self checkout. I digress.

Shopping went swimmingly. The boys did superbly. We sang our ABC's, Please/Thank You, Spider Man, all to the delight of our fellow shoppers. Luckily, since I made it out the door so stinkin' early, there weren't that many shoppers. We did have to maneuver around stockers but that's the price you pay for an empty store. While we were shopping, the mist had turned into a pretty hard rain so the boys and I ran to the van while our bagger waited patiently under the awning.

After getting really wet, I decided that it would be so nice of me to get Starbucks on the way home. This is a big time guilty pleasure for us. The funny thing is that I never get actual coffee there. I'm more of a cream and sugar with a little bit of coffee kind 'o girl. But I do adore their Carmel Apple Spice and Stuart has never been known to turn down a Venti Coffee with cream and 4 sugars. As I turned under the overpass and started to pull into the Starbuck's lot, I noticed that I was among the other half of WF that decided to grace Starbucks with their presence. Yes, we only have ONE location. I park, unload the boys, scurry inside the store, place our order, wait very patiently with two sets of ogling eyes, get our order, shimmy back to the van, reload the boys and head to the house. It was quite the adventure.

As I pull up to the house, Stuart opens the garage and comes out to help with the unloading. He was more than excited to see the 4 fantastic Starbucks cups. I hand him the carrier with all 4 drinks and make my way around to help Tucker out. As I set Tucker on the ground, Stuart's greatest nightmare happens. He falls. Really hard. In public. And drops all four drinks.

Tyson immediately bursts into tears. Tucker runs over to play in the new mess. Stuart flails about trying to stand back up. And our fabulous sidewalk gets a taste of Carmel Apple Spice, Cream, Sugar and Coffee with a double side of chocolate milk and whipped cream. Yum.

Thankfully Stuart was ok, just a skinned knee and bruised ego.

I load a sobbing Tyson back into the van and make another trek to Starbucks. $15 later, we all have a beverage and sit around the table eating chocolate donuts. Good times.

3 comments:

Jennifer W said...

Oh the fantastical lives we lead, eh? These days had better get better. I'm glad we're all healthy but by God, I AM IN THE WORST MOOD AND AM READY TO KILL SOMEONE IF IT DOESN'T. Get better that is. AGGGHHHHH! I wish you lived closer.

Me and My Boys said...

I wish I lived closer to. Talk about world domination! You, me, Hobo, the tyrannical Ts...WOW! Hope your day/weekend/week/life/world gets better.

Brooke said...

If this had happened at our house, I would be the one crying while Kate laughed. I'm a bit of a coffee addict, so the thought of wasted Starbucks is really upsetting! On a positive note though...kudos for getting out of the house at so ridiculously early!