22 May 2009

Round Two

So last night I had another interview. The 2nd interview in about a month. It was a far cry better than my 1st interview. This was a bit different though. It was a group interview. I have never had anything like this. Not that I have been involved in many interviews; I have had a panel interview, but this was a group of 6 all vying for the same positions. Interesting. I think it went rather well. The interviewer did inform us that the company did not have a set number of hires right now so there is a very real possibility that all 6 would/could be hired. That's just fancy talk for, "I'm not going to tell you to your face that we are only looking to hire 1 or 2 people right now and I want you all to go home and start telling everyone that you got the job, turn down any other offers you might receive from other companies and then wallow in misery when this company doesn't call you to let you know you have been hired. Thanks for coming!"

Now, for no other purpose than to make you smile, I feel compelled to tell you a little about the other interviewees. It's so fun!

There were 6 of us in all and we were all women. Yeah. There was me, who quite frankly is perfect in every way, wait did I type that out load? Hehe. #2 was a nice woman, probably in her 40's who is an elementary school counselor. She's just looking for a summer job and maybe something small to do during the school year since her kids are grown. #3 was a woman a little younger than me who has 4 young kids (she didn't say how young, but I introduced my self before her and said that I had two young boys ages 3 and 2 and so I can only assume that hers are about the same age) at home, is single and just quit working at the new Jack-In-The-Box (seriously, the place just opened 3 months ago). #4 was a high school girl who was just looking for a summer job. Her name is Shady. Seriously. I had to bite my tongue. #5 was also a high schooler, who is graduating next week and also looking for a summer job and her name is Brunette. As in the hair color. Ha! #6 was a very nice young girl who just finished her freshman year at Hardin Simmons (and yes I asked if she knew anybody from ACU) and is home for the summer, also looking for a summer job. Poor thing, she was scared to death. She has never had a job and I think this was either her first interview or at least one of her first. She was shaking and I really just wanted to give her a hug and tell her is was ok.

So now en lies the question: will Clarissa ever get a job?

We are moving into the danger zone now. Stuart started his out processing yesterday and will most likely be out of the Air Force and jobless by Friday. One week from now. 7 days. 168 rough hours.

The kicker is I have no clue as to what I want to do. Really. There are a plethora of options and a lot of things sound really interesting. There are really only two key things that I need: 1) a job that can offer benefits or at least pay me enough that I can buy private insurance and 2) a job that will allow me to not have to put the boys in daycare (i.e. something after 1 pm and before 2 am). Not too much to ask.

The insurance thing is mildly important. Stuart will be receiving insurance from the VA (for life actually) and we are going to get insurance for the boys thru the state. That just leaves little 'ole me. For all the negatives of the military, one of the biggest positives was the insurance. I mean after you deal with the ever-changing staff, ridiculous wait times, lack of a range of medications and probable referral to another doctor or the ER, the coverage was great.

As for daycare, I think I have touched on this subject before but if I haven't then bottom line is I don't want to put my kids there. It's not that I think daycare is bad. If I have to, I will utilize it. But Stuart and I have worked so hard over the past almost 4 years to keep the boys at home. And I want to raise them here.

I will say that we have been looking into Tues/Thurs and Preschool programs for Tyson to start going to in the fall. We just haven't made a concrete decision yet.

And where does that leave me now? I have sent out 10+ applications. I have had 2 interviews. The clock is ticking.

0 comments: