01 June 2009

The Simple Things

I got a new door. A NEW DOOR! You might remember what happened when I went away for a couple of days here. It's been a rough go without a door to my room but I guess in the bigger picture Tyson really needed a door and I was ok with going without for awhile. But no more! Since Stuart is all-things-fix-it, he finally made his way to Home Depot or Lowe's, I honestly don't know, and came home with a new door for Tyson.

Unfortunately his epiphany to make the house whole again came at 7:30 pm on Saturday night. Coupled with the fact that the door required an hour of adjusting and tweaking to fit into our 80-year-old-custom door frame, it was a little past the boy's bedtime before the door was officially put on. And it still doesn't have a knob, or a hole for a knob but that's A-okay. Baby steps here. And I have a door again! The simple things really do get to me.

On a completely separate note, Tyson woke up at 2:37 am this morning in an all out shriek. I jumped out of bed and tore thru the kitchen with one thought running thru my head: Tyson was being kidnapped and he had no cell phone to tell me about it! (Have I mentioned that I can't, I mean literally CAN NOT watch scary movies? I have always had vivid, wild dreams but when I got pregnant my dreams took on a whole new dimension. Watching a scary movie just became out of the questions because of the nightmares that I would have for days (and years, I still have some) afterwards. So much so that I can't even watch or listen to a preview for a scary movie. Stuart knows now to mute the tv and tell me when I can look again. Yes, it's that bad. Either way, we decided to rent and watch "Taken" Saturday night. I had heard that it's wasn't scary so much as it was suspenseful plus it got really great reviews...so we watched. 1) I am so glad that I don't have a daughter, 2) Stuart would totally learn to use some "skills" if we did, 3) um, hello!, now I'm having dreams about kidnapping.)

I had run thru every scenario of how I was going to deal with some mongrel that had broken into our house and was taking my baby out with him in the 15 seconds it took me to get to his room. When I threw open the door, I realized: He was still in his room! He was without an intruder! I didn't have to buy a cell phone for my three year old! He had peed all over himself! Oh, wait. He peed all over himself.

I wasn't mad because this was like his 3rd accident since potty training started and he's done so well that he doesn't wear a pull-up to bed. But it did mean that I had to fully wake up so that I could change his clothes, his sheets and sneak into Tucker's room to get a fresh set of sheets for his bed.

By the time I made it back into bed I was thinking about the scene in "The Strangers" where Liv Tyler is running thru the woods...another very poor judgement in movie selection.

Shout Outs:
Noise makers-thank you for providing enough noise to sneak into rooms.
Vinyl fitted sheets-peeing in the bed is not quite as awful with you.
Doors-you just need some sometimes.
Fans-it is so.stinkin.hot outside! but you take the edge off.

2 comments:

Jennifer W said...

Thrilled for you and your new (and old) doors!! Great story too. I can't watch scary movies anymore. Also, I think a Welch Family ass-kicking class is in order. Avelyn needs to learn how to fight off an abductor and I need to learn how to kill said abductor.

Me and My Boys said...

I think that class is very much in order. Avelyn is never too young to learn how to kick some serious tail. And Kevin can never have too many guns. Gotta be prepared.